Purpose-Driven Initiatives towards
a Greener Tomorrow
Stay updated on the impact of The Box Green Commitment here.
The Box plants a tree for every
Initiated on June 2019. In partnership with Tree nation (an online afforestation community based in Barcelona, Spain), we plant a tree on behalf of every customer that signs a new storage contract with us. Since June, we have planted 188 trees. Customers get a certificate each time a tree is planted on their behalf. This certificate contains information such as the species of the tree, the amount of CO2 it would offset and the project it supports. The physical location of the tree is also available on the certificate.
The trees are planted as part of various projects, within tree nation that take the benefits of tree plantation beyond just offsetting CO2. The Box supports a different project every month. In August for example, planted trees within the ‘Usambara Biodiversity Conservation, Tanzania’ that aims to conserve local biodiversity in a global biodiversity hot-spot by contributing to the conservation of the Magamba Mature Reserve and Jegestal Water source by planting fruit, fodder and other trees in order to reduce pressure (dependance) on forest reserve while creating income generating opportunities for the schools and villagers. So far, 1,342,759 trees have been planted as a part of this project that would compensate 1194329530 kg of CO2 in their lifetime. The Box has planted 92 trees already in this project so far.
Furthermore, our website has the CO2 neutral smart label that automatically compensates all the CO2 emissions the website generates. It tracks the website usage and calculates its related emissions. Our system plants the trees needed to compensate these emissions. Since initiation, there have been 29, 074 page views and trees have been planted to offset the corresponding 1,453 g of CO2.
- Pollution leading to death at the moment in developing countries
- Species extinction: 30% of all animals and a staggering 60% of plants are on the brink of extinction today
- Floods causing deaths, injuries and other loses
- Food Shortage: “700 million people suffer chronic malnutrition”
- Trees revive the atmosphere by absorbing dangerous gases including CO2 and releasing O2
- Forests are home to most of our biodiversity and can prevent extinction
- By trapping water in their roots trees prevent land erosion and landslides
- Trees prevent land degradation
- Tree food products complement agricultural crops and provide important micronutrients
- To plant trees for all customers.
- BHAG: To plant 50,000 trees by 2024.
Reuse and Recycle Boxes
- Started in August 2017
- 2017: Recycled 1740 Kg of cardboard
- 2018: Recycled 5,250 Kg cardboard
- 2019 to date: Recycled 4,370 Kg cardboard
- Total YTD Recycled 11,360 Kg cardboard
- All our boxes contain a message encouraging end users to reuse boxes as much as possible.
- We also offer to collect the boxes from them for recycling once they are done.
- All boxes used for our moves and for storage are reused until they no longer can be and thereafter collected and given for recycling on a monthly basis
UN Global Compact
Active Member since September 2016. Value system aligned with the 10 Principles of the UN Global Compact. Annual reports are submitted to demonstrate the realization of the commitment
Internal Policies in line with UN’s sustainable development goals
We only work with vendors who treat their employees fairly. We recruit and promote employees from within through extensive training and development programs. We work more in teams of teams with team leads rather than the standard organizational hierarchy. Based on a framework developed by E&Y, this enables each employee to develop skills across departments and constantly grow in line with their passions. We strongly believe in nurturing young talent and host interns on a continual basis since 2014. In 2019 so far, we have hosted 2 interns from France and 3 from the UAE.
Last Ramadan, we partnered with Meltoo and Salma Aid to host Declutter4aCause campaign whereby we engaged our community to drop off boxes of used or unwanted electronics for recycling to any of our locations in Dubai. We were also recognized as the Green Business of the Year at the Stars of Business Awards, a couple of years ago.